New Toronto is an area rich in history. The area, also known also as Lakeshore Village, is part of Toronto's western beaches.
New Toronto's history dates back to the 1890's when it was initially planned as a working town. The plan became a reality in 1906 when the Grand Trunk Railway opened repair shops, a roundhouse and a freight yard in New Toronto. New Toronto's rapid growth led to its incorporation as a Town in 1920. In 1967, New Toronto was amalgamated with the former Township of Etobicoke and recently was again amalgamated and now forms part of the City of Toronto.
Lakeshore Village is a small part of New Toronto, being orginally named so by the Lakeshore Village Business Improvement Association.
Since the 1990's the local industry is gradually being replaced with new home developments which are attracting more white collered professionals to the area.
Much of the area known as Lakeshore Village ends at the water's edge. Homes in the area are becoming more eclectic as quite a few of the orginal 'war time bungalows' and two story homes are being renovated and updated thoughout. South of Lakeshore Blvd., more than a few homeowners have added second floor additions or main floor extensions to their homes.
Close to Downtown Toronto, New Toronto is but a short 12 to 15 minute drive along either The Gardiner Expressway or Lakeshore Boulevard. Mimico Go train is located a few blocks north of Royal York and Lakeshore Blvd. W. and the street car service operates 24 hours a day.
New Toronto, AKA Lakeshore Village, offers its residents many fabulous amenities. Along with numerous lakeside parks, children's playgrounds, schools and tennis courts 'The Village' offers a library, an outdoor ice rink during the winter months and forms a part of the famous Toronto Waterfront Trail. On Lakeshore Blvd. there are numerous stores that offer its residents all kinds of shopping opportunities.